15 Aug 2010
Oh boy! Didn’t we see some heavy traffic today. Yesterday was peaches to what we saw today. I came home at almost midnight. I am exhausted but there is some thing important to write down.
First time in our recorded history, we got a Rs. 100,000 rupee donation. Thats more than 4 months my mums salary. Wow!
There was this guy who was really enthusiatic about what we were doing. I was having issues explaining as my voice was going off. Both Pramod and Pasindu also joined it. Seen the scene Dr. Elkaduwa also moved in. We were later told that we had received an donation and that it is the first of its kind. He asked what we would like to do, we said we would liek a computer been purchased for the CE.
Again the same sad situation is there. Girls are skipping our stall for the game next door. I feel like throwing him off the window.
But there was this one Muslim girl with here boyfriend showing a lot of interest and smiled at me. Pramod was like I should ask for th enumber but I was worried I will get a slap in my face.
15 Aug 2010
We were there early morning. The Japanese Embasidor opened the event and went through the exhibits. He was rushing through but at our position he had stopped for a few seconds when Dr. Elkaduwa explained him what we done short and sweet.
The crowd today was not bad as bad as the seniors had mentioned but there was a lot. We took turns explaining the implementation. Many university students showed interest. But all the beautiful girls stopped by the stall next door which was a game. We are really dissapointed.
How ever tomorrow is another day and it ends on Sunday! The 3 single guys keeping our hopes high!
15 Aug 2010
Its been some time since I’d written. We are really excited. We got some thing to show and we are one of the main projects the ComputerEngineering department is going to showcase this exhibition. We were positioned in the corner of the drawing office 1, on the last row.
We had to cary the computers from the 5th floor of the CE lab down stares. While the desktop was been configured we demonstrated our project to the department head and Dr. Elkaduwa. They were like “calm down, don’t be afraid, you have done a great job!”.
Feeling extreamly exhausted, worried how we will perform on load tomorrow, and really excited at the same time.
09 Aug 2010
The last 2 weeks have been real crazy. We had been always at university staying sate trying to find a solution to our translation probelm. We red a lot of documents, white paper, and blog posts to find information. We also looked into videos made by teachers who teach English locally.
Finally we came to an understanding on how things should be. In an abstract fashion, we would extract meta information, break down sentencs to chunks that are most of the time just words, generate a pattern of it, and decide on an rearranging pattern. Finally we will rearraneg the sentence and translate it word by word, a dictionary translation.
Once we had some thing sizable, we decided to go to give it a name. We came up with EngSin (or English-Sinhalese translator).
It uses C# on .NET 3.5 powered by a SQLServer 2008. So far it is not great, but it seems to be coming some where and Dr. Elkaduwa is interested.
09 Aug 2010
As second year students, we were helping out the staff and seniors for the engineering exhibition, EngEx2010, to come. I was assigned to for logic networks related demonstration showing boolean logic in action using electronic components. But things changed soon when the staff realized that final years were not going to live to their commitments and suddenly we had a void of projects to display. So we were tasked with picking up a final year project and get some thing done.
I decided to team up with Pramod and Pasidu. Been the debating type trio, we took few days to come to a decision on what kind of project to do and realized almost all easily doable projects were gone and the hard to achieve English/Sinhalese translator was the only thing on board.
We had a discussion with Dr. Elkaduwa about the approach and he is the project supervisor. After some quick reading we came to an understanding to implement it using a pattern based approach, which seemed simplest.
Here we are, doing a project rejected even by our super seniors to be done in 1 year, going to achieve it in 4 weeks! Face palm, heavy sigh, may God bless us all!